全国2008年10月高等教育自学考试 外语教学法试题 课程代码：00833 请将答案填在答题纸相应的位置上I. Multiple Choices: (15%) Directions: In this section, you are given 15 questions, beneath each of which are four choices marked A, B, C and D. You are to make the best choice either to complete the incomplete statement or to answer the question. One point is given to each correct choice. 1. According to the records available, human beings have been engaged in the study of language for ______ centuries. A. 10 B. 15 C. 20 D. 25
2. Traditional linguists gave priority to the written form and took ______ as their starting point. A. words B. phrases C. sentences D. paragraphs
3. Overemphasis on translation can never free learners from dependence on the ______ language. A. second B. target C. first D. foreign
4. According to Gouin, ______ expression is intimately linked with thought about real events. A. linguistic B. verbal C. facial D. natural
5. What can be introduced as a means of consolidation and evaluation in the Direct Method? A. Fill-in-the-blank. B. Dictation. C. Writing. D. Reading.
6. Palmer and his fellow linguists believed that a mastery of some ______ words would greatly assist foreign language learning. A. 1,000 B. 2,000 C. 3,000 D. 4,000
7. With the Oral Approach, rather than focus on explaining grammatical rules in classroom teaching, the teacher must encourage direct and ______ use of the target language in the classroom. A. quick B. careful C. spontaneous D. specific
8. The Audiolingual Method provided such materials for teaching English as all of the following EXCEPT ______. A. English 900 B. Lado English Series C. New World English D. Success With English
9. The Audiolingual Method uses ______ to present the language. A. dialogues B. passages C. movies D. articles
10. The process of learning by discovery, according to Brunner, involves ______ with the minimum of instruction and errorful learning. A. generalization B. association C. deduction D. induction
11. In the Natural Approach, the lexicon for both comprehension and production is considered ______ in the construction and interpretation of messages. A. critical B. trivious C. unimportant D. inappropriate
12. According to the Natural Approach, ______ is not absolutely essential for language acquisition. A. writing B. reading C. speaking D. listening
13. One of the study areas in pragmatics is how utterances are affected by the relationship between ______. A. the speakers B. the hearers C. the reader and the writer D. the speaker and the hearer
14. Most schools of the Communicative Approach share the view that language is used for communication, and they are primarily concerned with the ______ rather than the structure. A. communication B. meaning C. interaction D. participants
15. Which of the following methods advises teachers to consider their students as “whole persons”? A. Community Language Learning B. The Silent Way C. Total Physical Response D. Suggestopaedia
II. Filling Blanks: (20%) Directions: In this section there are 20 statements with 20 blanks. You are to fill each blank with ONE appropriate word. One point is given to each blank. 16. Sigmund Freud was the first psychologist that made a careful study of ______ mind. 17. By ______ Schumann and Anderson meant that individuals of one culture have to go through the process of modification in attitudes, knowledge, and behavior in order to function well in another culture. 18. The strategy of combining grammar rules with ______ was adopted by many foreign language teachers in the 19th century. 19. Latin grammar was at that time thought to be the most logical and ______ grammar. 20. The Direct Method got its name from the assumption that ______ are to be connected directly with the target language, without going through the process of translating into the student’s native language. 21. Although the teaching of all four language skills is advocated by most Direct Methodologists, ______ communication skills are regarded as basic. 22. In the Direct Method, the most frequently used techniques of consolidating what has been presented and practiced are ______, purposeful tasks and graded composition. 23. In collaboration with Michael West and other specialists, Palmer produced a ______ to the English vocabulary for EFL teaching. 24. In applying the Oral Approach, with the target language as the language of the classroom, translation should be ______. 25. The Audiolingual Method presents ______ as its main training skill. 26. ______ was much more effective than punishment according to some behaviorists. 27. The structural linguists hold that the habits of the students’ native language are thought to ______ with their attempts to master the foreign language. 28. The generative linguist is interested not only in ______ language but also in explaining language. In other words, they attempt to find the what as well as the why in the study of language. 29. According to Piaget, thought or thinking has its origin in actions physically performed and then internalized. In other words, thought is ______ actions. 30. Thought Krashen and Terrell claim that language is a ______ for communication, they consider language learning as mastery of structures by stages. 31. The Natural Approach considers ______ as the most important element of any language teaching program. 32. The Notional-Functional Syllabus is a syllabus, not a ______. 33. According to Hymes, linguistic theory is one incorporating communication and ______. 34. In a Total Physical Response classroom, the students listen attentively and respond ______ to commands given by the teacher. 35. According to Curran, there are six elements necessary for non-defensive learning. They are security, ______, aggression, retention, reflection, and discrimination.III. Matching: (15%) Directions: This section consists of three groups of pairs listed in two columns, A and B. You are to match the one marked ①,②,③,④,or ⑤ in Column A with the one marked a, b, c, d, or e in Column B. One point is given to each pair you match correctly. 36. A: techniques used in B: the purpose Grammar-Translation Method ① reading a. to apply the grammar rules to examples and to understand the reading passage ② analysis and comparison b. to introduce new words and grammar rules ③ translation c. to check the understanding of the reading passage ④ reading comprehension questions d. to apply the new items ⑤ written work e. to present new items or to understand the passage 37. A: techniques used in the Natural Approach B: the purpose ① personal charts and tables a. to help the students to use the target language to work out problems ② open dialogues b. to involve the students’ ideas and reactions ③ problem-solving c. to involve the students in giving information about themselves ④ games d. to involve the students in learning something new through the target language ⑤ individual reports and presentations e. to involve the students in using the language to play 38. A: Foreign Language Teaching Method B: the advocator or practitioner ① Total Physical Response a. J. Asher ② the Silent Way b. G. Lozanov ③ Community Language Learning c. Zhang Zhengdong ④ Suggestopaedia d. Charles A. Curran ⑤ Three Dimensional Approach e. Gattegno
IV. Questions for Brief Answers: (30%) Directions: This section has six questions. You are to answer them briefly. Five points are given to each question. 39. Could you please name two of Daniel Jones’ works on English phonetics? 40. What is the core of a Grammar-Translation classroom? 41. How does the teacher that employs the Oral Approach respond to students’ errors? 42. What is the attitude of the Cognitive Approach towards mistakes in the language learning process? 43. What are the distinguishing features of the Notional-Functional Syllabus? 44. What is the role of the teacher in Total Physical Response?
V. Questions for Long Answers: (20%) Directions: The two questions in this section are to be answered on the basis of your own teaching experience as well as the theoretical knowledge you’ve learned. Ten points are given to each question. 45. What advantages can be found in the Direct Method? 46. What are the five distinctive features of the Audiolingual Method in terms of the structural linguistics and behaviorist psychology? Give one typical technique to illustrate one of these features.